Are you considering attending one of the ultrasound technician schools in Maine? We’ll tell you about some of your options, plus give you information on the state of the industry, salary expectations, and more. Spend some time exploring the rapidly growing field of diagnostic medical sonography.
Job Growth is expected to be 35% in the state of Maine, which is significantly higher than average, and it’s one of the highest paid careers available with just an associate’s degree.
Connect With Schools Near You
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- And more...
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Health Claims Specialist
Maine Ultrasound Career Outlook
Diagnostic medical sonographers, also called ultrasound technicians, play an important role in healthcare today. Using special equipment, ultrasound techs use sound waves to image the inside of the body, and those images are used by physicians to detect, diagnose, and treat disease. In 2013, the average annual salary for diagnostic medical sonographers in Maine was $72,240, which is higher than the national average of $66,410. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment for ultrasound techs in the state will grow by 35% in the decade spanning 2012 through 2022.
Begin your career by requesting information from an ultrasound technician school in Maine, or one of the many other programs listed below. You’ll have the opportunity to speak to a representative and have your questions answered.
Accredited Sonography Schools in Maine
The following schools have sonography programs that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), as of November 2014:
Kennebec Valley Community College – Fairfield, ME
Certification Requirements in Maine
As of June, 2012, there are no licensure or certification requirements for diagnostic medical sonographers in Maine. However, many states are discussing making the move toward required licensure, and many employers require it as well, so it’s a wise thing to consider while you’re pursuing your education. The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) is the primary organization offering certification to sonographers. The only way to earn their certification is by taking and passing their exam. There are currently two testing centers in Maine to take the exam. Find the locations and contact information on the ARDMS website at ardms.org, or by calling the testing company Pearson Vue at 1-877-258-9220.
In order to take the ARDMS test, you must meet one of their prerequisites. Graduating from a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is probably the easiest, but there are others as well, which are detailed on the ARDMS website. You may even want to talk to prospective employers about the certification and educational requirements they have. Request information from several ultrasound technician schools in Maine and do the research to make sure that they meet the certification requirements you’re looking for.
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health Communication
- B.S. in Health Studies
- B.S. in Health Studies - Health & Cultural Diversity
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Healthcare Management - HSA Mgt.
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Coding and Billing