If you’re considering attending one of the ultrasound technician schools in Ohio, now is a great time to get started. Upon graduation, you’ll find a positive job outlook, with strong growth predicted across the healthcare sector. Diagnostic medical sonographers, use special equipment to image the inside of the body. Physicians then use those images to detect, diagnose and treat disease. As a sonographer, you get to be part of the process of providing much-needed care for patients. Medial imaging is a popular career choice due to the rewarding nature of the work, combined with a relatively short educational and training period.
Pursuing your education at an ultrasound technician school in Ohio will give you access to accredited schools in an environment that fosters both learning and recreation. If you don’t see a sonography school listed in your area, you may want to consider one of the many related fields in healthcare. If you’re prepared with a list of questions ahead of time, you’ll get the opportunity to speak to a school representative to address them, one by one.
Connect With Schools Near You
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Medical Office Basic X-ray Technician
- Medical X-Ray and Clinical Services
- Medical Assisting with Basic X-Ray Operation
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- BS in Health Administration - Health Management
- AS - Medical Assisting and Administration
- AS - Nursing
Get your career started with an education from Heritage College. We offer programs and degrees for a career as an x-ray medical technician, medical assistant, massage therapist, esthetician, surgical technologist, personal trainer, pharmacy technician, or cosmetologist.
- X-Ray Medical Technician - Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant and Dental Radiology
- Dental Assistant
- Diploma: Chiropractic Assisting
- Occupational Diploma: Medical Assisting
- Associate of Applied Science: Medical Assisting
- And more...
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Nurse Administrator
- Nursing (BS)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Ohio Business College offers a variety of Associate degrees, including Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Web Page Design, Information Technology, Accounting and Legal Assistant. We also offer Real Estate Pre-Licensing courses and Microsoft Office Specialist exams.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at: www.ohiobusinesscollege.edu/disclosure.asp.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Administrative Assistant
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor degree programs for careers in the business, health care, criminal justice, paralegal studies and computer technology fields.
- Medical Assisting, Associate of Science
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
Ohio Ultrasound Career Outlook
Ohio, like many other portions of the country, will have the most opportunity for job growth in the health care industry. As of 2012, there were over 2,300 individuals employed as medical sonographers, earning a median wage of $60,100. The field of medical imaging is viewed as strong in this densely populated state, with an expected increase in employment opportunities of 39% between 2012 and 2022 (careerinfonet.org).
Accredited Sonography Schools in Ohio
The following schools all have programs that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), as of December, 2014:
Bowling Green State University Firelands College – Huron, OH
Central Ohio Technical College – Newark, OH
Cincinnati State Technical Community College – Cincinnati, OH
Collins Career Center – Chesapeake – Chesapeake, OH
Cuyahoga Community College – Parma, OH
Kettering College of Medical Arts – Kettering, OH
Lorain County Community College – Elyria, OH
Marion Technical College – Marion, OH
Mercy Medical Center-Canton – Canton, OH
Ohio State University – Columbus, OH
Owens Community College – Toledo, OH
Sanford Brown College-Middleburg Heights – Middleburg Heights, OH
University of Rio Grande / Rio Grande Community College
Ohio Certification Requirements
Ohio does not require certification to be an ultrasound technician. However, most employers require professional certification by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS). The only way to earn certification is by taking and passing their exam. There are many locations throughout Ohio to take the exam, and you can find them on the ARDMS website at ardms.org, or by calling the testing company Pearson Vue at 1-877-258-9220.
The easiest way to qualify to sit for the exam is to graduate from a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Otherwise, you’ll need 12 months of full time clinical experience, which is not easy to get when you are not ARDMS certified. A bit of a catch-22, but a reality in today’s working environment. Request information from several ultrasound technician schools in Ohio, and do the research to make sure that they meet the certification requirements you’re looking for.
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs that can be completed 100% online. Degree programs are available in the fields of education, nursing and health sciences, business, fine arts and production, and liberal arts.
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Allied Health Science (AS)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Doctor of Nurse Practice
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Gerontology
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Sustainability Management
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Informatics
- And more...
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
Salary by Metropolitan Area
The following table compares the median annual salaries for sonographers for the major metropolitan areas of Ohio, as of May, 2013:
|Metro Area||2013 Median Salary|
Career One Stop, sponsored by the U.S. Dept. of Labor, May, 2013: http://www.careerinfonet.org/occ_rep.asp?next=occ_rep&Level=&optstatus=111111111&jobfam=29&id=1&nodeid=2&soccode=292032&menuMode=&stfips=39&x=36&y=15
Ultrasound Technician School in Columbus, OH
The most densely populated city in Ohio, Columbus was voted the best place to raise a family by BusinessWeek in 2009. In 2008, Forbes magazine named Columbus the #1 up and coming tech city in the nation. If you choose to pursue your education in Columbus, you will find many fun and interesting ways to spend your free time. Whether you head to the Center of Science and Industry (COSI), pursue your thrills at Magic Mountain, or tour downtown on your Segaway, Columbus offers many attractions as well as positive employment opportunities. Request information from schools and learn about the opportunities available from ultrasound technician schools in Columbus.