Find Florida’s Top Sonography Programs for 2020
Sonography, medical imaging, and many of the related careers are in high demand, and pursuing your education in Florida is a great way to get involved in the healthcare field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Florida has the 3rd highest employment level in the nation for sonogaphers, and job growth is expected to strongly increase.
Below we will go into detail about some important factors to consider when pursuing your sonography career, including Florida’s economic outlook, as well as certification requirements and salary data. We will also connect you with all of the CAAHEP accredited sonography programs in Florida in 2020.
Is Sonography a Good Career Choice in Florida?
Yes! Becoming an ultrasound tech is a great career choice for many reasons, including:
- Education: Most sonographers hold an Associate’s Degree, which typically takes 2 years to complete.
- Income: Florida is one of the highest paying states for Associate’s Degree holders. The mean annual salary for sonographers in Florida is $66,310* (BLS, 2019).
- Jobs: The job outlook for sonographers in Florida is expected to increase by 31.2% by 2026 (CareerOneStop).
Connect with Educational Programs near You
CAAHEP Accredited Diagnostic Sonography Programs
The main accrediting body for sonography programs is the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). A school becomes accredited once it has met the DMS Accreditation Standards and Guidelines set forth by CAAHEP, which is accomplished by passing a series of program reviews, including a self-study review and a site visit.
The successful completion of one of these recognized Florida DMS programs is the most comprehensive and direct way students can earn eligibility to sit for the ARDMS Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI) exam. Passing both of their exams will allow you to receive professional certification in diagnostic medical sonography.
If you’re currently enrolled in or have been accepted to a CAAHEP accredited program, you’re also eligible to apply for the UltrasoundSchoolsInfo semi-annual $1,000 scholarship. Click here to learn more.
Accredited Sonography Schools in Florida in 2020
The following ultrasound technician schools in Florida are accredited by CAAHEP and offer degree or certificate programs as of August 2020.
|Institution Name||Location||Program Director||Initial Accreditation Date|
|AdventHealth University||671 Winyah Drive
Orlando, FL 32803
|Deziree Rada MHSc, RDMS, RVT||10/21/1995|
|Ascension St. Vincent’s Riverside||1 Shircliff Way
Jacksonville, FL 32204
|Chemene Wilson MHSc, RDMS, RT(R), RVT||1/23/2004|
|Broward College||1000 Conconut Creek Blvd
North Campus, Building 41
Coconut Creek, FL 33066
|Karen Hoban MEd, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, RT(R)||10/17/1990|
|Cambridge College of Healthcare and Technology||5150 Linton Boulevard
Delray Beach, FL 33484
|Bianca Hamm BS, RDCS||11/21/2008|
|Cambridge Institute of Allied Health and Technology||460 E Altamonte Dr
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
|Jesse Frauenhofer MS, RDMS, RVT||1/16/2020|
|Eastern Florida State College||3865 North Wickham Rd
Melbourne, FL 32935
|Harry Holdorf PhD, MPA, RDMS, RVT||5/19/2017|
|Hillsborough Community College||4001 W. Tampa Bay Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33614
|Louis Gomez BS, RDMS, RVT||7/17/1986|
|Keiser University – various locations||Daytona Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Melbourne, New Port Richey||Marianne Peiffer BS, RDMS||4/19/2002|
|Miami Dade College||950 NW 20th Street
Miami, FL 33127
|Dahlia Sanchez-Suarez BS, RDMS, RDCS||10/24/1985|
|Nova Southeastern University||3200 South University Drive
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33328
|Jorge Han MD, RDMS, RDCS, RVT||3/20/2015|
|Palm Beach State College||3160 PGA Blvd
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
|Patty Braga MS, RT(R), RDMS, RVT, RDCS||3/17/2006|
|Polk State College||999 Avenue H NE
Winter Haven, FL 33881-4299
|Merrybeth Etherton BS, RDMS||11/18/2011|
|Santa Fe College||3000 NW 83rd Street
W-Annex, Office 118
Gainesville, FL 32606
|Christina Edwards BS, RDMS, RVT, RT(S)||11/18/2011|
|Southeastern College||17395 NW 59th Avenue
Miami Lakes, FL 33015
|Rosmery Machado BHS, RDMS, RVT, RT(S)||11/20/2015|
|Southern Technical College||3910 Riga Blvd
Tampa, FL 33619
|Sharon Toler DHSc, RDMS, RVT||5/20/2016|
|Valencia College||1800 S. Kirkman Road
Orlando, FL 32811
|Carolyn DeLeo MAEd, RDMS, RVT, RT(R)||4/23/1992|
Ultrasound Tech Certification Requirements in Florida
Florida does not currently require their ultrasound technicians to possess licensure or certification. However, most employers prefer or require professional certification by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
The ARDMS also has a set of prerequisites you must meet in order to take their exam.
The only way to earn certification by the ARDMS is by taking and passing their exam. There are several locations throughout Florida to take the exam:
- 7800 Southland Blvd Ste 215, Orlando, FL 32809
- 2240 Woolbright Rd, Boynton Beach, FL 33426
- 4012 Gunn Hwy UNIT 110, Tampa, FL 33618
- 12220 Towne Lake Dr #40, Fort Myers, FL 33913
- 3317 NW 10th Terrace, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
- 508 Capital Cir SE d, Tallahassee, FL 32301
- 8380 Baymeadows Rd #11, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- 5300 NW 33rd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
- 2176 Sarno Rd, Melbourne, FL 32935
- 10010 Park Pl Ave, Riverview, FL 33578
- Atrium Office Park, 3900 NW 79th Ave #543, Miami, FL 33166
- 9400 4th St N #211, St. Petersburg, FL 33702
- 1707 Orlando Central Pkwy #300, Orlando, FL 32809
- 305 Clyde Morris Blvd, Ormond Beach, FL 32174
- 8615 S Dixie Hwy, Miami, FL 33143
- 212 E Highland Dr, Lakeland, FL 33813
- 5000 NW 34th Blvd, Gainesville, FL 32605
- 2201 Cantu Ct STE 210, Sarasota, FL 34232
- 3475 Sheridan St, Hollywood, FL 33021
- 1777 Tamiami Trail # 508, Port Charlotte, FL 33948
- 2286 Wednesday St # 2, Tallahassee, FL 32308
- 1000 S Pine Island Rd, Plantation, FL 33324
- 725 Primera Blvd Ste 210, Lake Mary, FL 32746
Besides graduating from a CAAHEP accredited school, the second easiest way to qualify for the exam is 12 months of full-time clinical experience. Request information from several ultrasound technician schools in Florida, and do the research to make sure that they meet the certification requirements you’re looking for.
Additional Certification Information
Lila DeCubellis, a Cardiovascular Technology Professor at Santa Fe College in Florida, shares 10 skills/traits that are invaluable to a successful sonographer:
- Provides excellent patient care before, during and after the exam.
- Understands the indications for the exam and how it applies to the patient.
- Gathers and understands the needed pertinent information from the patient’s medical record.
- Is thoroughly knowledgeable about the anatomy and physiology he/she is imaging.
- Applies the principles of ultrasound physics to optimize images and adjusts for artifact.
- Is knowledgeable about the pathophysiology of the disease state being evaluated.
- Provides thorough answers to exam indication for the reading physician.
- Thinks critically: During the exam there is a single opportunity to obtain the images –critical thinking steers the educated sonographer to seek the needed images and information to answer the question at hand.
- Consistently maintains professionalism by setting examples for others.
- Remains current by broadening his/her knowledge base via continuing education.
How Much do Sonographers Make in Florida?
Ultrasound techs in Florida earned a mean annual wage of $66,310 in 2019* (BLS). The salary that you earn depends on a variety of factors, including your level of education and expertise and your geographic location and type of employer. Typically, hospitals offer the highest wages to their sonographers.
Job growth is expected to be strong, with an increase of 31.2% predicted by 2026, which is much higher compared to the 19.5% growth expected nation-wide (CareerOneStop).
Highest Paying Areas for Ultrasound Techs in Florida*
|Naples-Immokalee-Marco Island, FL||$76,050|
|Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL||$76,860|
|Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL||$69,950|
|Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL||$67,260|
|Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL||$63,290|
Salary data provided by BLS (2019).
Ultrasound Programs in Nearby States
Job Opportunities for Sonographers in Florida
Stephanie Eisler, RDMS – Orlando, FL
“For the adventurous personality, the easily bored, the eager to try something new, the free spirit, that someone with a strong desire for a ‘nice’ income; being a ‘McPhee of Ultrasound’ is perfect!” Stephanie currently specializes in high-risk OB sonography at a Maternal Fetal Medicine practice in Orlando, Florida.The career of a traveling sonographer lets you combine your desire to see the country with strong employment opportunities. In this 2-part article, Stephanie shares with us the ins and outs, ups and downs of traveling sonography.
Financial Aid for Ultrasound Technician School in Florida
Paying for school is one of the most stressful aspects of attending college. However, there is help available. There is a variety of financial aid provided for aspiring sonographers, from federal aid, grants, student loans, and scholarships.
A trusted resource for students in Florida is the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Their website walks you through the scholarships and grants available.
More financial aid resources:
- UltrasoundSchoolsInfo scholarship
- Financial Aid and Scholarships for Sonographers
- Overview of financial aid and government grants and loans
- Financial aid for undocumented students
Limited English Proficient (LEP) Individuals
According to the US Department of Education, Limited English Proficient (LEP) learners were the fastest growing population in the country. It is estimated that 21.5% of individuals in the United States speak a language other than English at home, and studies show that 10% of K-12 students in Florida are ELs (English Learners) as of 2018. As a result, the healthcare industry is concerned that these patients may not be receiving optimal health care.
Those who speak English as their 2nd language may have difficulty communicating with their physician, nurse, or other healthcare provider. Therefore, healthcare providers who speak a second language are in increasing demand, and are in turn seeing higher employment opportunities.
Ultrasound Technician Schools in Miami Beach
Living in Miami Beach, it is a relatively short commute by car or public transit to attend one of the nearby accredited ultrasound technician schools. There’s a lot of job opportunities available in Miami as well. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1670 diagnostic medical sonographers were employed in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach metropolitan area as of May 2019, and their annual median income was $63,290.* Unique employment opportunities can be found in Florida, including providing healthcare at Disney World.
Just one of the potential medical imaging employers right in Miami Beach is the Mount Sinai Medical Center, which is accredited by the American College of Radiology in the following medical imaging modalities: Ultrasound, Breast MRI, Breast Ultrasound and Mammography (with a “Breast Imaging Center of Excellence” designation), Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Oncology.
- Getting started
- Sonographer overview
- What makes a great sonographer
- Allied Health Careers & Education
- Other jobs in healthcare
*Conditions in your area may vary.